Piano Audition Requirements for 2021-2022 Admissions
November 2, 2020 – January 1, 2021 at 9:00 am
PREAUDITION MEETING – virtual for 2021
Tuesday, January 5, 2021
link to be place here on meeting day
Because of Covid19, DSA will not have any in-person tours or Preview Mornings for the 20/21 school year. A full Preview Morning video can be found here.
Submit audition materials by January 21, 2021 to this link.
If your student needs accommodations for the audition, as written in a 504 or IEP, please provide a copy of the 504 or IEP to Assistant Principal email@example.com ONE WEEK before your student’s audition date.
Auditions will NOT be live and instead be pre-recorded video(s) to be uploaded on the provided Google form.
- Please make sure the performer is visible in the frame. Recorded videos where the performer is not visible (such as just hands/arms) will not be accepted.
- Music stands should also be visible to verify that the piece is being performed from memory.
- You may upload multiple video files or one, unified audition video.
- Most modern cell phones can capture footage acceptable for this audition. However, please check the quality of your recording before uploading. Recordings that are too quiet or too loud (clipping) should not be submitted.
- Please upload all audition materials to the Google form byJanuary 21st 11:59pm.Materials will not be accepted after this time.
The audition requirements are as follows:
- The student will perform FROM MEMORY two contrasting selections. These can include music from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, and 20th Century time periods. Jazz, Gospel, and Popular Music is also acceptable.
- The student will perform a set of major and minor scales, hands together, at a rate of speed appropriate for the student’s age. The student must perform the major and the three forms (natural, harmonic, and melodic) of the minor scales in any key of his/her choice. 6th Graders perform scales hands together in two octaves, and 7th-12th Graders perform scales hands together in four octaves.
- Students should prepare for a brief interview with Mr. Alpaugh to discuss accomplishments, goals, and their interest in the DSA Piano Studies program. This interview will be held over a Google Meet video call on January 21st between 4pm-6pm. If you are not available during that time, please let me know so that we can schedule an interview before the 21st.
- No portfolio or letters of recommendation are required. However, if you would like to upload letters of recommendation, you may do so on the Google form.