Vocal Music Audition Requirements for 2021-2022 Admissions
Dr. Ryan Garrison and Meaghan Quigley
VOCAL MUSIC WEBSITE
November 2, 2020 – January 1, 2021 at 9:00 am
PREAUDITION MEETING – virtual for 2021
Monday, January 4, 2021
link to preaudition meeting
Because of Covid19, DSA will not have any in-person tours or Preview Mornings for the 20/21 school year. A full Preview Morning video can be found here.
First Round Prescreen
By January 21, 2021 at 11:59 pm
For the first round of auditions, students will submit items listed below under “Audition Requirements”. This will all be done virtually. This is simply a submission – no live component.
Tuesday, February 2 – 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Saturday, February 6 – 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Students who are called back from the 1st round prescreen auditions will be given a time for a Zoom audition on one of the dates above.
If your student needs accommodations for the audition, as written in a 504 or IEP, please provide a copy of the 504 or IEP to Assistant Principal email@example.com ONE WEEK before your student’s audition date.
Submitted/Uploaded with First Round Prescreen
1. Two recommendations for each student on provided form:
1 from a music teacher
1 from a person of choice
2. Current headshot or normal individual photo
3. Written Vocal Repertoire List (If applicable: Incoming grades 10-12 only); include songs formally studied in voice lessons (list song title, composer, and year studied).
4. Grades 6-12 – solo of choice video performance
– Must have accompaniment (no a cappella)
– Ideal optional solo repertoire provided below for use
– w/ practice vocal tracks
– w/ practice piano accompaniment
– w/ language assistance (where applicable)
– Introduce your first & last name clearly
– Introduce your song title.
– Sing approximately 1 minute of your song; pick the best portion of your song that shows range, vocal flexibility, and expressive qualities.
Callback Audition Elements
Skills: My Country Tis of Thee (will provide music)
Skills: Scales and Triads (progressive in difficulty)
6-8: Major Scale, Major Triad, Minor Triad
9-12: Major, Natural, Harmonic, Melodic Minor Scales, Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented Triads
ALL: Aural Recall from a Vocal Score
Song option #1: Santa Lucia:
Santa Lucia sheet music
Santa Lucia piano practice
Santa Lucia vocal practice
Santa Lucia Italian Language practice
Shenanhoah piano practice
Blue Skies piano track