Welcome to the Denver School of the Arts Chapter of the National Honor Society
National Honor Society Pledge
Realizing that high honor brings great responsibility, I pledge myself to do everything in my power to uphold the high purposes of this society to which I have been elected. I shall strive to carry forward the searching light of truth, to lead men upward in that light, to serve my fellow man in all ways possible, and to make my character a worthy example for others to follow. I shall earnestly endeavor at all times, by word and deed, to make the ideals of this society the ideals of my school, my community, and my nation.
NHS Seniors: As of 10:15 am on Thursday December 20, 2018, the NHS Service Hours “grade” in the NHS Google Classroom reflects the total number of hours you have submitted via hard copy form to Ms. Wiseman. (This means some of you will have more hours “graded” than you entered in the tracker.)
Any hours above 20 will roll over into your new tracker next semester. Thus, next semester, enter in the Classroom tracker ONLY those hours you accrue during the spring semester.
Have questions? See Ms. Wiseman in January.
Kristin Hanna (Dr. J) – room 221
Andrea Wiseman – room 205
Mark Mallaney – room 207
2018-2019 NHS Officers
Kyleigh McPeek, president
Samantha Bohrer, vice president
Liv Ragen, secretary
Grace Hiner, senior representative
Ava Mason-Warren, senior representative
All NHS members must earn an unweighted cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or a 4.8 weighted GPA to be invited to join DSA’s Chapter of NHS. Once inducted, NHS members must maintain a 3.70 to remain in NHS.
All Denver School of the Arts NHS members must be a junior or senior
Requests for extensions, excused absences, faculty board appeals and other
NHS Formal Requests
NHS Required Lunch Meeting Dates 2018-2019
Members are allowed one grace absence per semester for non-mandatory meetings. Absences must be communicated at least one week prior to the meeting through the NHS email account. If you miss more than one meeting a semester, you will be required to complete an additional 5 service hours per absence above your grace absence. If absences are persistent, your NHS membership may be revoked. Students are expected to be on time to each meeting regardless of rehearsal or performance schedules. Two tardies to a meeting will be equal to one absence.
12:45 – 1:15 in the Concert Hall
Wednesday September 5, 2018 (contracts due)
Wednesday September 19, 2018
Wednesday October 3, 2018
Wednesday November 7, 2018
Wednesday December 5, 2018
Wednesday January 9, 2019
Wednesday February 6, 2019
Wednesday March 6, 2019
Wednesday April 17, 2019
Wednesday May 1, 2019
Service Hour Due Dates
Friday December 14, 2018 Fall Service Hours due by 3pm
Friday April 19, 2019 Senior Spring Service Hours due by 3 pm
Friday May 3, 2019 Junior Spring Service Hours due by 3 pm
There may also be lunch meetings prior to our fall and spring service projects dates.
2018-2019 Required After School/Evening Events
Induction Ceremony September 24, 2018 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Fall Service Project TBD
Spring Service Project TBD
Stole Ceremony May 13, 2019 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Attending these events is mandatory and DOES NOT count for any required service hours. Excused absences must be verified at least two weeks prior to the event, in writing. to Dr Hanna (Dr. J) in room 221. These cases will be considered on a case by case basis. Unexcused absences will result in termination from NHS.
Fall Service Project
Fall Service meeting TBA
Community Service Hours
All NHS members must earn 20 hours of community service per semester. Seniors will submit service hour forms to Ms. Wiseman in room 205. Juniors will submit service hour forms to Dr. Hanna in room 221.
- all members must turn in their NHS community service forms no more than 2 weeks after the service is complete
- all service hours must use this community service form in order to be counted
- Summer hours are due by October 5, 2018
- Fall NHS hours due by Friday, December 14, 2018
- For Seniors: Spring NHS hours due by Friday, April 19, 2019
- For Juniors: Spring NHS hours due by Friday, May 3, 2019
- By completing over twenty hours of service in the fall semester, excess hours will count toward the spring semester. Excess spring hours, however, will not be carried towards the following year.
- Five of the 20 required hours each semester may be DSA-related hours. DSA-related hours must be part of voluntary projects and cannot be already required by an major or academic teacher.
- Internships will not be counted.
- One-on-one tutoring can count for as many hours as desired. The NHS one on one tutor form must be used for each separate tutoring session.
Tutoring Hours Opportunity = Service Hours Opportunity
“The counseling office has received requests for peer tutors. Please see the counselors ASAP to take advantage of this opportunity.”
“Mr. Agamiate is looking for tutors to help during middle school lunch and the second half of his 4th period. Middle School Lunch is 11:45 – 12:30, and the second part of Middle School 4th period would start at 1:20.”
1) The Children’s Museum will be conducting Open Interviews on January 19th at 1pm-3pm. If you are interested and want additional information, please see the flyer at this link: https://www.mychildsmuseum.org/get-involved/volunteer
2) The counselors are always looking for more tutors interested in helping out students (especially in math). Contact the counselors to be matched with a student in need of tutoring.
DSA NHS 2018-2019 Member Contract
Link will be updated shortly.
NHS National Constitution Link
DSA NHS Bylaws
2018-2019 DSA NHS Bylaws