Welcome to the Denver School of the Arts Chapter of the National Honor Society
National Honor Society Pledge
Please remember that the semester is quickly coming to a close. NHS volunteer hours need to be submitted within two weeks of the date of service. Service hours must be completed by May 4, 2018.
Realizing that high honor brings great responsibility, I pledge myself to do everything in my power to uphold the high purposes of this society to which I have been elected. I shall strive to carry forward the searching light of truth, to lead men upward in that light, to serve my fellow man in all ways possible, and to make my character a worthy example for others to follow. I shall earnestly endeavor at all times, by word and deed, to make the ideals of this society the ideals of my school, my community, and my nation.
Kristin Johnson – room 221
Jacob benEzra – room 120
Andrea Wiseman – room 205
Mark Mallaney – room 207
2017-2018 NHS Officers
Mia Nelson, president
Katie Boehm, vice president
Evan Sullivan, secretary
Fox Helms, senior representative
Chandler Groskopf, senior representative
All NHS members must earn an unweighted cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or a 4.8 weighted GPA to be invited to join DSA’s Chapter of NHS. Once inducted, NHS members must maintain a 3.70 to remain in NHS.
All Denver School of the Arts NHS members must be a junior or senior
NHS Required Lunch Meeting Dates 2017-2018
Members are allowed one grace absence per semester for non-mandatory meetings. Absences must be communicated at least one week prior to the meeting through the NHS email account. If you miss more than one meeting a semester, you will be required to complete an additional 5 service hours per absence above your grace absence. If absences are persistent, your NHS membership may be revoked. Students are expected to be on time to each meeting regardless of rehearsal or performance schedules. Two tardies to a meeting will be equal to one absence.
12:45 – 1:15 in the Concert Hall
Wednesday, September 6
Wednesday, September 13
Wednesday, October 4
Wednesday, November 1
Wednesday, December 6
Wednesday, January 17
Wednesday, February 7
Wednesday, March 7
Wednesday, April 4
Wednesday, May 2
There may also be lunch meetings prior to our fall and spring service projects dates.
2017-2018 Required After School/Evening Events
Induction Ceremony September 18, 2017 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Fall Service Project October 26, 2017 8:45 am – completion
Spring Service Project TBD TBD
Stole Ceremony May 14, 2018 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Attending these events is mandatory and DOES NOT count for any required service hours. Excused absences must be verified at least two weeks prior to the event, in writing. to Dr. Johnson in room 221. These cases will be considered on a case by case basis. Unexcused absences will result in termination from NHS.
Fall Service Project
Fall Service meeting in SSC Wednesday, October 25th at lunch.
Meet at DSA Rotunda no later than 8:45 am on Thursday, October 26, 2017. From there, the officers will lead groups to their respective locations (each location is within 5 minutes walking of DSA). You must bring your completed waiver with you.
Community Service Hours
All NHS members must earn 20 hours of community service per semester
- all members must turn in their NHS community service forms no more than 2 weeks after the service is complete
- all service hours must use this community service form in order to be counted
- Summer hours are due by October 5, 2017
- Fall NHS hours due by Friday, December 16, 2017
- Spring NHS hours due by Friday, May 4, 2018
- By completing over twenty hours of service in the fall semester, excess hours will count toward the spring semester. Excess spring hours, however, will not be carried towards the following year.
- Five of the 20 required hours each semester may be DSA-related hours. DSA-related hours must be part of voluntary projects and cannot be already required by an major or academic teacher.
- Internships will not be counted.
- One-on-one tutoring can count for as many hours as desired. The NHS one on one tutor form must be used for each separate tutoring session.
DSA NHS 2017-2018 Member Contract
2017-2018 NHS Contract
NHS National Constitution Link
DSA NHS Bylaws
2017-2018 DSA NHS Bylaws