Welcome to the Denver School of the Arts Chapter of the National Honor Society
National Honor Society Pledge
Realizing that high honor brings great responsibility, I pledge myself to do everything in my power to uphold the high purposes of this society to which I have been elected. I shall strive to carry forward the searching light of truth, to lead men upward in that light, to serve my fellow man in all ways possible, and to make my character a worthy example for others to follow. I shall earnestly endeavor at all times, by word and deed, to make the ideals of this society the ideals of my school, my community, and my nation.
Megan Altekruse – room 121
Jacob benEzra – room 120
Katie Hoff – room 134
Chad Russell – room 220
2016-2017 NHS Officers
Lily DeThomas, president
Bridget Galaty, vice president
Kyle Friesen, secretary
Asia Jones, senior representative
Evan Austin, senior representative
Kaitlyn Boehm, junior representative
Mia Nelson, junior representative
All NHS members must earn an unweighted cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or a 4.8 weighted GPA to be invited to join DSA’s Chapter of NHS. Once inducted, NHS members must maintain a 3.70 to remain in NHS.
All Denver School of the Arts NHS members must be a junior or senior
NHS Required Lunch Meeting Dates 2016-2017
12:45 – 1:25 pm in the SSC (old library)
Members are allowed one grace absence per semester for non-mandatory meetings. Absences must be communicated at least one week prior to the meeting through the NHS email account. If you miss more than one meeting a semester, you will be required to complete an additional 5 service hours per absence above your grace absence. If absences are persistent, your NHS membership may be revoked. Students are expected to be on time to each meeting regardless of rehearsal or performance schedules. Two tardies to a meeting will be equal to one absence.
Wednesday, September 7
Wednesday, September 14
Wednesday, October 5
Wednesday, October 26
Wednesday, November 9
Wednesday, December 7
Wednesday, January 25
Wednesday, February 22
Wednesday, March 15
Wednesday, April 12
2016-2017 Required After School/Evening Events
Induction Ceremony September 19, 2016 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Community Arts Day April 15, 2017 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Stole Ceremony May 8, 2017 3:30 pm – 4:15 pm
Attending these events is mandatory and DOES NOT count for any required service hours. Excused absences must be verified at least two weeks prior to the event, in writing. to Mr. Russell in room 220. These cases will be considered on a case by case basis. Unexcused absences will result in termination from NHS.
Community Service Hours
All NHS members must earn 20 hours of community service per semester
- all members must turn in their NHS community service forms no more than 2 weeks after the service is complete
- all service hours must use this community service form in order to be counted
- Summer hours are due by October 5, 2016
- Fall NHS hours due by Friday, December 16, 2016
- Spring NHS hours due by Friday, April 28, 2017
- By completing over twenty hours of service in the fall semester, excess hours will count toward the spring semester. Excess spring hours, however, will not be carried towards the following year.
- Five of the 20 required hours each semester may be DSA-related hours. DSA-related hours must be part of voluntary projects and cannot be already required by an major or academic teacher.
- Internships will not be counted.
- One-on-one tutoring can count for as many hours as desired. The NHS one on one tutor form must be used for each separate tutoring session.
There are copies of the NHS Community Service Forms and One-on-One Tutoring Forms in the DSA Counseling Office
DSA NHS 2016-2017 Member Contract
NHS contract 2016-17
NHS National Constitution Link
DSA NHS Bylaws
2016-2017 DSA NHS Bylaws