WELCOME TO THE GUITAR DEPARTMENT
Denver School of the Arts is an art magnet school and a member of Denver Public Schools. The guitar major program provides in-depth study of classical and jazz guitar performance to students in grades 6-12.
Students participating in the guitar program at DSA will develop guitar-playing skills in classical, jazz, guitar ensemble, and popular music. Students will become proficient on the guitar in the following areas:
- Knowledge of the fret-board in all positions
- Proper left-hand techniques
- Proper right-hand sound production using fingers and flat pick
- Music reading, notation, improvisation, harmonization, rhythm, and style
- Composition and arranging for guitar in various styles
- Guitar pedagogy
Students will study classical guitar first semester and jazz guitar second semester with a Final Jam concert in May when students can choose to play modern commercial music, classical, or jazz.
Requirements of a DSA guitar major:
There are several performances each year. These are the current performances:
- 2 fall concerts (classical guitar solos along with small & large group ensembles; middle & high school may be combined or can have separate concerts)
Location: Concert Hall
- 1 late winter/early spring jazz concert (solos along with small & large group ensembles; separate concerts for middle & high school)
Location: Concert Hall
- Final Jam in May (middle & high school combined)
Location: Schomp Theater
**A student must put DSA concerts as a priority while at DSA.
Fill the Gap Campaign
DSA is a unique school with unique needs. The actual cost of educating a DSA student with an extraordinary arts and academic education is beyond the funding that is provided by the district. In order to fully fund DSA’s nationally competitive arts and academics, we are faced with a gap. This year the financial “gap” that DSA faces is $1500 per student for the school year.
DSA’s Fill the Gap Campaign was launched in 2017, and all DSA parents were asked to come together to Fill the Gap with an unrestricted, tax-deductible contribution. Over the past 5 years this support has allowed DSA to provide quality educational programs in the arts and academics, capital improvements for DSA’s unique needs, financial resources for low-income students, programming to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and more. A school-wide culture of philanthropy is essential to the success of our students and fulfilling our mission…and together we will be stronger!
Your support of the Fill the Gap Campaign at a level that fits your budget will help us reach our goal of 100% participation and is 100% tax deductible. Join the hundreds of DSA parents who are already supporting DSA through either a monthly or one-time donation.